Sunday, November 11, 2012

Week 13 ; Ch.11 #3

The section that I found most interesting was "Social Networking". It states that the internet is affecting the daily lives of young people. I agree with this because today, many people are addicted to using social networks. There are many times where this happens to me when I'm doing homework or just laying in bed trying to fall asleep. When I'm doing homework on my laptop, there are many times where I would open up Facebook because it's so convenient. Also, since I have an iPhone, it's a lot easier to go on social networks like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram because there are apps for that. There are times where I find myself looking through each social network, then five minutes later, I would check them again thinking that there would be something new posted. Nowadays, there are many students that post pictures of themselves drinking alcohol, smoking marijuana, or doing any other illegal activities. What these students don't see is that posting these pictures can affect them professional wise when they're trying to apply for a job. This section proposes that when you post a message on a social network, you need to consider who the potential recipients, both intended and unintended are. Many students assume that their profiles are private and people whom they're not friends with can't see what they post, but there are ways in which employers and administrators can find out if you do something illegal. So the next time you post a picture up of yourself doing something illegal, you should think twice about it.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Purple is the best,
    Most teenagers and college students use facebook and other social media every day as a way to keep up with what is going on in everyones lives. Especially now that it seems everyone has a iPhone or other smartphone, it isn't uncommon to see a large group of people in a class on their computer or phone using Facebook, twitter, Tumblr, etc. Yes, these are great ways to remain social at all times, but people need to realize that being "private" on the internet simply isn't possible. Although you may set it up to be private, there is still some way out there where people can see it.

    ReplyDelete