Friday, November 9, 2012

Week 13 ; Ch.11 #1

Media experiences have reinforced my existing worldviews and values and challenged and expand my views in different ways. When I see something, for example, on Facebook, I usually don't believe it until I do my own research. An example of this was when one of my friends posted that Michael Duncan passed away, but I didn't believe it was true so I looked it up on Google, and it was unfortunately true. According to the text, this process helps overcome bias and narrow-mindedness because your range of media experiences is expanded. The text states that another way to interpret media messages is to carry out a critical analysis of your interpretation. This usually consists of asking questions like, "Why did it make me feel that way?" or "What is going to happen next?" after reading an article or watching a show/movie. I personally don't interpret this way as much as I do for the previous one, but I have a few times. One time I've done this was when I watched the movie Shutter Island. This movie was full of suspense, action, and mystery.Throughout the whole movie, I was confused on what was happening and the whole concept of the story, but once the movie was over, I was left speechless because it made me wonder how anyone could even think of a story line like that. I'm sure that everyone has used one of these interpretations at least once before about the media, people just don't realize it.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about both the facebook and your example of watching a movie. Usually when you read something on the Internet like on facebook or on tumblr many people just assume that its true. However for me, I don’t like to believe something I see that is posted by someone. Similar to what you do, I research on the Internet and find a reliable news source because that is the truth of the certain incident. When you talked about Shutter Island I remembered all of those suspense horror movies I have watched! The same exact thoughts come into head and everyone has their own way of interpreting media.

    ReplyDelete