Saturday, October 6, 2012

Week 7 ; Ch.3 #2

A rhetorical device is the action of using persuasion rather than reason to persuade people to side with a particular position. There are four different types of common rhetorical devices, which consist of euphemism, dysphemism, sarcasm, and hyperbole. A euphemism is when you replace a negative term with a more positive one, basically "sugercoating" the truth. A dysphemism is the opposite of a euphemism, it's a phrase used to have a negative effect. Sarcasm is the use of insults, taunting, and caustic irony. A hyperbole is the use of exaggeration to overstate the facts. Earlier this week, I used a euphemism because when I was at work, I had to train a new hire on how to open up the store. It was her third week of working, so I asked her if she could make someone's order of fresh-squeezed orange juice. I knew she was told multiple times before to wear gloves while working with the fresh fruits because my co-workers told me ahead of time, but even after those constant reminders, she still didn't wear them this time while making the juice. Instead of scolding her like my other co-workers did, I simply told her, "Hey, we're supposed to always wear gloves when we touch the fresh fruits because nobody would want a drink that someone makes without knowing where their hands have been." After I told her that, every fresh-squeezed juice she made later that day, she wore gloves. Last week, I also used sarcasm because my roommate left her keys at home, and since I was home, she called me and asked if I could let her in. Obviously I was going to let her in, but I told her, "No,  I don't know how to open the door, so you're going to have to wait outside all night long." She knew I was being sarcastic, so she told me to just come downstairs and open the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment