Friday, September 7, 2012

Week 3 ; Ch.8 #1

When Sherlock Holmes tells Watson that when it comes to art of reasoning, may people rely on opinion and unsupported assumptions, I think he means that when people try to figure things out, they are usually biased with their decisions. For example, when I was in my junior year of high school, my friends and I were at a party. My friend left her phone to charge in a room that nobody was supposed to go into, and when she came back into the room, her phone was gone. She immediately thought it was the girl that she didn't like because everyone knew one another  at the party. My friend went up to the girl saying, "Where's my phone? I know you took it." without any proof at all. Today, many people assume things and never really take the time to figure things out fairly. When you make an assumption, you should always have proof to back it up, otherwise you could blame innocent people. When innocent people are blamed, that's usually when conflicts start to happen because nobody likes to be blamed for other people's mistakes.

2 comments:

  1. While I can agree with people rely on opinion and unsupported assumptions, things may seem ironic to say the least. I give people the benefit of the doubt before I really look further. Be biased kills all possibilities to look for the truth. The evidence may not be clear. The point being, going up to someone as to, “where’s my phone? I know you took it.” That there can cause a fight to really break out. I have seen fights just break in this matter. While assumptions can “seem clear” we might just go with anger, frustration, stress, and ect… Emotions sometimes get the best of us from thinking “critically.” Yet, to some it may be surprising to say the least. This is a wonderful point. Great blog…

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand what it feels like to be accused of something I haven't done and I absolutely hate it. If you do not have any proof of me doing something that I know I did not do, then how in the world could you possibly accuse me of doing it? I could imagine how the person your friend accused felt in that situation. It may be likely that it was that person, but without sufficient proof, there isn't a way you can just put all the blame on her. Emotions definitely get the better of people sometimes, especially those with grudges on people, but it's unreasonable to accuse someone in particular with no proof.

    ReplyDelete